Sunday, December 7, 2014

Graphing with Ornaments

Today we created a graph to sort between different colored ornaments. I created the axis and cut out the ornaments. They're pretty familiar with graphs so we reviewed the concept of sorting and gluing on accordingly. 
I started by having the girls select a pinch of ornaments from a ziplock Baggie. Usually I'd give them a set amount of ornaments but this time I wanted them to create a different graph so we could talk about the different results. 
They did pretty well with constructing the graph so I made sure to ask questions at the end to assess their learning. 
One thing we need to continue to work on is not including the category ornament into the total number of ornaments. We talked about only counting what was inside the "frame" I drew. 
-Cynthia (nanny)


I loved this idea of Cynthia's, so I decided to so my own variation.  I created a paper tree with sticker ornaments.  Then I made graphs with corresponding stickers.  I had the kids count the ornaments on the tree and use dot painters to graph how many of each ornament was in the tree.


No comments:

Post a Comment