Saturday, November 22, 2014

Apple Tree Addition

Lil loves math (she just turned 5 by the way).  She especially loves addition, which she has pretty much taught herself.  The other day she said "Mommy, can you make me some cards with addition sentences on one side and trees on the back so I can put the right number of apples on the trees?"  So I made cards with addition sentences on one side and a plain leafless tree on the other side.  I gave her a red dot painter so she could use the dot painter to answer the addition sentenced by painting the correct number of dots on the trees.  I also had her write the numeral under the tree.

I made O a modified version (he'll be 3 in January).  I gave him cards with a number (1-5) instead of an addition sentence.


It's safe to say that Lil got this idea from an activity we did the day before during which she had to answer addition sentences with apple seeds on apples.


Since then we have also used the same concept (using some subtraction sentences too) and put Apple in baskets, dog bones in dog bowls, and feathers on turkeys.  I see lights on Christmas trees being an option very soon, there are just so many possibilities!  

No comments:

Post a Comment