Tuesday, November 25, 2014

Counting with Ten Frames

Cynthia (Nanny): 
I think this has been one of my favorite activities we've done in a while. As an educator, I know how important ten frame understanding is even in kinder and first grade. The purpose of ten frames is to develop number sense by teaching mental images of numbers, how to find different ways to manipulate the numbers, and their relationship to a base ten counting system. 

In this particular lesson, I used number flash cards to flip and have the girls demonstrate the value on their ten frame using colored counters. 

Before the lesson I gave them a few minutes of free exploration time aka playing time before we began. This helps cut out the interruption and playing during the lesson. 
Then we practiced placing counters to match the numbers we knew. I used language like "what will I have if I add one more to 7?" and "how can I quickly tell how many counters are there if the whole top row is filled?" And "what does it mean if both rows are filled?" 
They did well with the concept of counting on for 6-10. You have to model showing that if the top row is already filled you can start counting on from 5. We will continue to work on filling the top row first to make our mental images more clear.

I'd love to share more info about this lesson or answer any questions you may have in the comments below. 




No comments:

Post a Comment