Thursday, December 12, 2013

Christmas: Gingerbread Baby Story Map Activity

Cynthia(Nanny): After re-reading the Jan Brett story, The Gingerbread Baby, we completed a story map to help the girls retell the story.
I took pictures of important parts of the story. I labeled their paper with a beginning picture, 4 middle events, and the ending.
I laid the pictures out on the side and as I read the story. I wanted to see if the girls could find the picture that we needed to glue down. In the beginning, they needed more prompts because there were more choices. Towards the end they were finding the right pictures before I got to that page.
I definitely need to do more of these activities and laminate them to make them reusable.
In elementary school, story maps are used to help students build their comprehension and retelling skills. These are not only major components of reading, but all learning.
Many times, kids are expected to demonstrate mastery today by retelling what they learned and what it reminds them of. Story mapping will help build these important skills.

No comments:

Post a Comment