Wednesday, December 18, 2013

Christmas: Sticker Math

Arielle (mommy):  
We had so much fun with Christmas stickers practicing math today.  To set up, it cut up sticker sheets and put all of the stickers into a pile, then I drew 6 sections on the paper.

Sorting: to practice this skill I had Lil sort the stickers onto the paper.  She ended up with 5 groups.

Patterning: the sorting activity got her ready to make patterns.  She used her sorted stickers to create AB and ABC patterns.

Counting:  What to do with that paper with the six boxes?  Use them for counting!  I wrote sentences in each box; ex. "I have ___ candy canes." I had her start with one and go all the way to six, putting the correct number of stickers in each box and writing the correct number on the line.

We also worked on vocabulary for this activity as we talked about the names of Christmas symbols.  "Holly" was a word Lil did not know and now she does!

No comments:

Post a Comment