Wednesday, November 6, 2013

ABC Photo Book (and the second child effect)

Arielle (mommy):
When I was a little girl I loved looking through my baby album.  Sure it only had a few pages filled out, but I enjoyed it all the same.  Sometimes I did wonder why my baby book had fewer pages filled out than my older sister's, and my mom always said it was harder to find time to do things like that with two kids than with one.  This made sense then, but now that I have two of my own I truely get it.  When I talk to my other mom friends this seems to be he case with them too.  We joke that with the first child you want everything to be perfect and with the second you are just easier to please.  

My point is not a pity party for the second born.  Subsequent children have the benefit of more easy going, experienced parents, and have someone to play with from the second they arrive on earth.  What I have decided personally though is that there are some things I did with Lil that I want to make sure I do with O too.  He may not grow up to relish looking through his baby book, but I know as he grows, I will enjoy looking back.

One thing I did with Lil when she was O's age was create a personalized ABC book with her featuring her posing with all of her favorite things from A-Z.  Not only is it a great memory book of that stage in her life, but it is also a great tool for teaching her letters and helps with speech.

To make the book I gathered pictures of Lil with family members, and then took pictures of her posing with her favorite objects.  I used some pictures we already had (some of her younger months) also.

I found a Groupon for a photo book from a company like Vistaprint or Picassa, and created the book on my computer.  Because of the Groupon, the total cost was under $20.


Today I'm going to start taking photos of O and his favorite things to create an ABC book for him.  I need everyone to keep me honest, I will post it here by 2014.  I'd love for others to accept this challenge with me and share your results!

No comments:

Post a Comment