Wednesday, November 13, 2013

Teacher GURU spotlight: Frank Youngman



Over twenty years ago (wow!) I was a shy fifth grader in a small town in Michigan called Lake City.  I hit the elementary school jackpot when I was assigned my teacher for the year: Mr. Youngman.  

He was such a dynamic and exciting teacher!  He taught us through music daily as he sang with his guitar.  He made novels come alive as he read to us when we had a free moment. In his class we did amazing projects like paper cutting, during which we used small razors to cut pictures into construction paper.  I remember making elaborate puppets using hot glue, and needles and thread.  When I think back on those days not only do I think "wow, times have really changed," but I realize how much faith he had in our abilities as ten year olds.  Nobody cut themselves or injured a classmate, but everyone did create some things they were really proud of.  

I admire Mr. Youngman because he loves teaching and kids.  As my fifth grade teacher, he never raised his voice, and had such a kind, fun, and creative spirit.  He didn't place his students in boxes or put limitations on us.  

As a former teacher and mom I have used a lot of what Mr. Youngman taught me.  Because of my time in his class, I'm a better teacher. I've tried to let my students and children shine by helping them discover their God given talents just as he did.

It was a great joy to be in his class.  I know Mr. Youngman has inspired thousands of kids in Lake City throughout his career and I am thrilled to have him as our first Teacher Guru Spotlight recipient.



I happened to find my fifth grade yearbook.  I think it's fitting that even then I wrote "best teacher" above his photo.  Embarrassing shot of my ten year old self who felt the need to circle my own picture.

About a year ago I found Mr. Youngman on Facebook.  We are now FB friends, so I told him about the teacher spotlight and asked him to send me an update.

From Mr. Youngman:  I'm now the band director for Lake City. I kinda came in the back door on this one. I do love it, and have a hard time picturing myself in a regular classroom anymore with what's happening in Education these days. It would be hard to do many of the activities which you describe and I think are so valuable for kids. They don't call them standardized tests for nothing.  I've yet to find a standard kid.




5 comments:

  1. What a wonderful tribute to for a great teacher!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for this post! Mr. Youngman was definitely my favorite teacher ever. I had him for 4th grade at St. Ann's in Cadillac. There was a lot of singing and music, puppet making (I think I still have 'Baldwin,' the punk rock puppet, somewhere,) and body contortion (I swear one time he put both feet behind his head and walked around the room on his hands.) He also really helped me out during a rough patch I had in elementary school. Then, a few years ago, he played music at my wedding! Thanks for the lovely tribute.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Elizabeth's Grandmother. The one he doesn't know.December 3, 2013 at 6:59 PM

    He's Juan in a Million, except his name is Frank.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I had Mr. Youngman his first year he came to Lake City Elementary School. He was and still is my favorite teacher. We did the same stuff you described above. He told us about the child they lost and it broke my heart. He has a great heart and God thankfully blessed many children to have felt his love and care to us. Thanks Mr. Youngman for the love and care you give to all us children. I hope my children find a teacher as great as you are. -Christina Nickerson-Bernier

    ReplyDelete
  5. Mr. Youngman is the perfect candidate for this tribute. I had him the first year he came to Lake City. We did the same stuff described above. He has a great heart and touched many of us kids lives. I hope my children are lucky to find a great teacher to inspire them as he has for me. God has given him the talent to reach young people (especially those who need it) and help them to reach higher. Thanks for everything you have done we appreciate it.

    ReplyDelete