Tuesday, November 19, 2013

Teacher Guru Spotlight: Ella Mae Woodlief

Cynthia thanks a special high school teacher.

When I was a junior and senior in high school I was blessed to have been a student of Ella Mae Woodlief. She was my Early Childhood Education teacher and FHA sponsor at Judson High School. Mrs. Woodlief was a wonderfully caring person who was there for me just as a parent would be.

What I'm most grateful for was the way she took an active role in helping me apply for colleges and find scholarships and grants I might be eligible for. My Dad had passed suddenly a couple years prior and my mom was now working longer hours to provide for my sister and I,  so I was going to need all the help I could get to continue on to a university. Mrs.Woodlief really helped make that process less scary and not become a lost dream.

I also remember her always staying late after school to offer her students extra time in her room to use her projection machine (yes, projection machine. Old school.) and other supplies to finish school projects. This was a class geared to teaching future teachers so we were always creating bulletin board materials, student games, and activities for the elementary classrooms we would visit.

Unfortunately,  I only kept in touch with her for about a year or so into college.  I wish I would have done more to touch base with her from time to time and let her know just how appreciative I was for everything she was to me.  A teacher,  a guidance counselor,  a listener,  but mostly someone who truly cared about me.

During the planning of this project I began searching public records for her,  but haven't located her yet. Wherever she is,  I hope she knows this kid really admires her. I hope to follow her lead and be a light for someone who needs that push to keep going and realize nothing is impossible.

1 comment:

  1. I too had Mrs. Woodlief and feel the very same as you. She was always there to help and give encouragement when I needed it most. I kept in touch with her up until about 3-4 years ago. I finally graduated with my teaching degree in 2011 and began teaching this year, 20 years after high school graduation. She taught me so many things and was a true blessing as well as an inspiration to me. I found your page as I began my search to find her online. I know of previous address and family members so I am destined to get in touch with her if possible!

    Carrie

    ReplyDelete