Monday, October 21, 2013

Fall: Apple Sorting and Patterns

Cynthia(Nanny):
Today we used real apples to sort by color. The girlpicturess were able to sort very quickly on their own. To provide a challenge, I asked if they could sort by size, but this was a little confusing for them as they said all of them were big. 

I think with older kids you could actually measure to decide how to sort by size.

Guru Moment: A great way to let kids sort objects is to have them create their own rules for how they sorted. They can even turn it into a game where the other kids have to guess what they used to sort.


Cynthia (Nanny): Patterns
I started out by modeling how I could create a pattern using the three different colors of apples.  Then,  I had the girls extend my pattern and create their own.  

After some practice,  we used pictures of apples to create patterns just as we did with the real apples.  
They were able to create a pattern with two apples,  but it seemed like the third color caused some confusion.  I had to re teach the core of the patten and how that part repeats over and over.  We also tried naming the colors in a singing voice to help them remember what was supposed to come next.  
After they were more successful,  they were able to glue down their pictures.  




Arielle (mommy):
I wanted to have Lil build a pattern with real apples but we didn't make it to the store and we only had one apple at home.  I decided to have her do apple prints to make patterns instead.  

I cut the apple in half and had her use two different colors of paint to create an AB pattern with the apple "stamps."


No comments:

Post a Comment