Thursday, October 10, 2013

Letter V

Cynthia(Nanny): Today we learned about the letter v and its sound. When teaching letter sounds it's really important to show kids how to make the correct sounds with their mouth. For example, today I explained that they had to put their top row teeth against their bottom lip and make a vibrating sound. This sounds confusing but once you try it, it makes sense.

After that, we made our Vv page for our ABC book. 

Then, in an effort to review taking care of our bodies from last week and math patterns I had the girls create patterns using pictures of vegetables I printed. I modeled how to choose two vegetables and have them "take turns" lining up on the paper strip. 

The taking turns idea really helps them understand the concept. They are getting so much more comfortable with creating their patterns by themselves. The more practice, the better!



Arielle (mommy):  
I have taken my time getting to the letter V because I wasn't excited about making a vulture or viper or something obscure for the letter animal.  That's my excuse, now here is my very late addition to the post.

Introduction:  After our routine look at letter an picture cards and introduction of the sound, I had Lil make a vase with flowers for the letter v (to redeem the vulture I was going to have her make later). 

She drew flowers, stems, leaves, cut them out (she's very good at cutting, you should see her hair...eek) then glued them onto construction paper that had a pipe cleaner in the shape of a V glued to it.  For the finishing touch, Lil tore pieces of blue paper and glued them on for the "water" in the vase.


Writing practice:  To practice the formation of V and v I gave Lil more pipe cleaners.  She attached two to make V and bent one in half to make v.


Craft:  V is for vulture


No comments:

Post a Comment