Monday, October 7, 2013

About Me: My Family Portrait

Arielle (mommy):
To begin our unit on families I had Lol draw a family portrait.  I gave her a rectangular sheet of paper and a triangle to make a house.  Thenstart dhappy to draw all the members of our family.  As she drew we discussed the hair color, eye color, features of each family member.  We also discussed the color of clothing each family member is likely to wear.  Lil used pencils, markers, and chalk to add color to her portrait.

When she was finished with her art, Lil wrote the names of each person under their picture as I helped her sound them out.

The last thing I had Lil do was create sentences about each member of our family as I recorded what she said.  It's always good for preschoolers to see us write what has been spoken to help them make the connection between the spoken and written word.


Cynthiaa(Nanny): 
To create the girls' family portrait, I divided a journal page into 4 sections so they had a space for each person. 
We talked about how each face needed to start with a circle and features they should include. 
They drew in crayon so I had some construction paper sqaures ready in case we needed to cover any mistakes. We used a few squares but instead of getting upset they were happy to see they could cover it up and start over. 

No comments:

Post a Comment