Tuesday, October 22, 2013

Fall: Apples Everywhere!


Arielle (mommy):
For the past week and a half I've been showing my kids apples everywhere we go.  We noticed them at the grocery store, in books, in games, in songs, and in their favorite tv shows.  

We found a great youtube video my HarryKindergarten all about apples.  I used to use HK youtube videos when I taught kinder.  He has great videos that teach counting (by 1's, 2's, 5's, 10's), months of the year, days of the week, seasons, weather, money, exersize, and really most everything you'd want to teach a 5 year old (or younger).  The apple music video did not disappoint.  Lil and O both loved the tune and the beat the song had.  The song includes a lot of good information about apples which I appreciate as well.

You can watch "I Love Apples (kid's song)" on youtube or on http://www.harrykindergartenmusic.com/song/57

Lil love Curious George and I just knew there had to be an episode about apples.  I found episode 2 of season 3 called "Meets the Press."  After I figured out it wasn't about CG taking a trip to his local news station, we watched it on Netflix.  This episode was cute and informative as CG goes to an apple orchard and accidently learns first hand how apple cider gets made.

I also did a youtube search for the episode and found it there as well.

We were having so much fun finding apples everywhere I figured I'd be able to find a game for my iPad and I was right.  We found a free app called "Quack's Apples."  Lil enjoyed helping Quack get his apples into the river by pointing sticks in the correct direction.


Last week we read several apple books we have that are worth mentioning.  Amelia Bedelia's First Apple Pie is a great book to read aloud just for fun (though it did have good information on different types of apples and instructions on how to bake an apple pie).  How Do Apples Grow is a good scientific book.  I Am An Apple scientific too but much simpler and easier for little ones to comprehend.  Ten Apples Up On Top is a great book for incorporating counting into the apple theme.





No comments:

Post a Comment