Wednesday, October 9, 2013

About Me: Family Names with Letter Cards

Arielle (mommy):
Cynthia shared an idea with me (which she didn't blog about) that I thought was great.  She made mats for the twins with enough spaces for each letter of their name, with their name written above it, then made letter cards with all the letters of their names.  She had them put the letters in the correct order on the mat to build their names.

I thought this was a great idea, but Lil is older and has been able to write her name for a long time, so I thought about a way to make the activity more challenging for her.  Since we are learning about families I thought it would be a great time to use this activity to teach her how to write/recognize mommy and daddy, and also get more comfortable writing O's name.  I have  shown her mommy and daddy many times before so I did not write the words on the mat, I wanted to see if she could do it from memory.  She really enjoyed he activity.

To tie in math, I had her count the letters in each name and then compare two names with some questions; Which one has more?  Which one has less?  How many more does this one have than that?


Guru moment:  After Lil finished creating two names on the mats, she wanted to build the others as well, but had no more mats, so she just laid them out without mats.  Since she enjoyed this so much I thought I'd see if she could write the names from memory on her chalk table.  She had a pretty easy time (at first she wrote mpmmy, but we talked about it and she fixed it).  O was copying her which was fun to see, he sort of wrote an M.  Then she wanted me to teach her how to write I love O, so I helped her spell that.  



No comments:

Post a Comment