Wednesday, September 25, 2013

Letter P

Arielle (mommy):

Introduction: After our usual discussion, I had Lil use one of my favorite letter apps to learn about the letter P.  The app is AlphaTots and I love it because after each letter is introduced, it gives the child a little action game for the letter.  For letter z they get to "zap the spaceships". For h they get to "hammer the nails".  For p the instruction is to "play the instruments".  The kids then do what is instructed.  I love it because it uses action verbs for each letter rather than the traditional nouns, "a is for apple, be is for bear, etc."


Writing practice: I had Lil practice writing P using pastel chalk on an old file folder.



Craft:  We dressed P as a parrot using colorful feathers.


Cynthia (Nanny): 
To learn about the letter Pp, we created the next page in our ABC book with familiar pictures starting with Pp. When I asked if they knew any words that start with "p" they both yelled "pee-pee!" ;) 
Next,  I explained that poems are short stories that sometimes sound like song. I read a few short poems from the book, Shout! Little Poems That Roar by Brod Bagert that related to the senses.  
Then we started our own poetry book about the senses. I pre typed the pages in a rebus style so that the girls are able to use the picture cues to sing and read along. The first one is a familiar song that they love and ties in perfectly.  
One of their favorite activities from our sound week was making popcorn in an air popper, so we wrapped up our lesson on the letter Pp by eating yummy popcorn.  

No comments:

Post a Comment