Monday, September 9, 2013

My about Me: My Family Book

Arielle (mommy):  
Cynthia is on vacation this week, so instead of moving forward with our plans of learning about the letters m and n and the sense of sight, we are going to be doing some different things this week.  I'm going to share some of my favorite activities and ideas.

I have said many times before that I love making books with young children, and they love making them, and reading them over and over again.  Today I helped Lil make her own photo album and had her narrate pictures for each member of our family.  

First we printed pictures of our family members (aunts, uncle, cousin, grandparents, great grandparents, brother, mom, dad, and a picture of Lil herself).  The we glued the pictures in one at a time, and Lil told me about the person in the picture, what she likes about them, what she likes to do with them, etc.  as she talked, I wrote exactly what she said.  Watching me write great opportunity for her to make a connection between the spoken and written word.  After we were all finished I dated the back.  We really enjoyed reading the story together and I know as Lil gets older, she will enjoy looking back and reading what she said about each person.

After we finished all the pages I couldn't find a stapler, so I used a hole punch and string.  I actually like how it looks better than staples and it holds more paper than staples anyway.  I just wish that I had left room for the book's "binding" when I wrote on the pages because some of the words got cut off.  I guess that could be the "guru moment" but it seems more like a "duh moment" to me.


No comments:

Post a Comment