Saturday, September 21, 2013

Sense of Sight: Day 5

Arielle (mommy):
Today is our final day of sight!  At our house we continue to be very busy with Lil's birthday preparations.  Of course I figured out a way to incorporate the two.  I decided to make Lil a Rapunzel costume to wear (we searched the stores and I was frustrated by the quality and price).  I had Lil use her sense of sight to describe Rapunzel's costume, and as I made the costume, I had her compare it to a picture of the character and tell me what I needed to add.  We used an old pink leotard, a purple tutu, purple felt, purple tulle, and some hot glue to make the costume.  It's definitely not an exact replica but not bad for some things we found around the house.


We also experimented with sense of sight a bit when I had Lil use a magnifying glass to observe things.  I also blindfolded her and had her try to write her name without using her sense of sight.  We topped off the day by reading the first few pages of a story without looking at the pictures and discussing why our sense of sight helps us understand picture books better.

Cynthia (Nanny):
To wrap up our sense of sight unit we created the fifth part of our Senses book collection.
I printed and cut out some pictures of familiar objects for the girls to choose. Again, I wrote predictable sentences for them to remember as they read.  Obviously,  they can't read the words yet but memorizing stories is such a great skill to promote early reading.  After they glued in the pictures I filled in the blank to match the picture they chose.  I read their story to them and then I had the girls rear it out loud to me.  They were excited to read it on their own and add it to their Browsing bags to read for later.  
Activity 2:  

This week we had lots of rain so I took advantage of a teachable moment and had the girls use their sense of sight to observe the rain. On a whim I wondered if they would be able to complete a vocabulary activity with me that I would have done with school aged children. Of course, they rose to the occasion. After we observed and talked about the rain falling outside I made a chart with 4 spaces for the word, the picture, what they think the word means, and what the word actually means. Sometimes it can be really difficult to describe the meaning of words, so teaching vocabulary skills early is crucial to kids lifelong success.

Activity 3:
Last week I spent some time with Lil and she showed me how to use the water bead sensory bin. I think I may have had more fun than she did and couldn't wait to have the girls try them.  They loved them! After letting them explore on their own for a while,  I told them we were going to play a letter and color hunt game. I would call out letters or current colors and have them search for them in their tub.  They had lots of fun and will be on our list of games to play next week.  

No comments:

Post a Comment