Tuesday, September 3, 2013

Writing journals

Arielle (mommy):
Something very common in a kinder classroom is a daily writing journal where kids practice free writing or respond to prompts.  As a K teacher, my first writing assignment every year was for the children to draw a picture of themselves and write their names.  



I really like the way the writing journals show kids how much progress they make over time.

It is really never too young to start a writing journal, at first it may be full of scribbles, then a line, then a circle, then maybe the first letter of a child's name.  

Lil just started this writing journal (it's from Lakeshore and has prompts).  If I didn't have this I could write my own prompts for her in a regular notebook.  I am also going to have Lil start a free writing journal that she can use however she wants.  It's important to date the pages and let the child dictate what they were writing to you so you can write it on the page too.  



One of my favorite ways to use a writing journal for children who aren't able to write is to have them draw and dictate a story as I write it in their words.  

Even though O is just 1 1/2, I am going to start a free writing journal in a notebook for him as well so we can see his progress as he begins draw and write.  I have frequently caught O attempting or succeeding at coloring on the walls lately...I say if you are old enough to color on the walls, you are old enough to start a journal!

Habakkuk 2:2 NIV: Then the LORD replied: "Write down the revelation and make it plain on tablets so that a herald may run with it.

No comments:

Post a Comment