Tuesday, September 17, 2013

Sense of Sight: Day 2

Cynthia(Nanny): 
Today for our sense of sight practice, we played a color matching game. 

Beforehand,  I painted a circular piece of poster board with several different colors. I added a layer of modge podge sealant so it would dry smooth and not so rough. Then, I labeled clothes pins with the color word and visual. I modeled how to squeeze the pins to open and clip to the correct color space. I clipped one pin on the correct spot and another on an incorrect spot. 

They were very quick to tell me I needed to fix it. :) After each girl practiced matching a pin I let them complete the game on their own. They did very well with matching up the colors. It was also a great fine motor exercise which I didn't realize it would be.

Guru Moment: I think having them use clothes pins or plastic tweezers to grab items when sorting definitely needs to be something we practice doing more of.



For science and math today we practiced sorting different objects by color. I filled a bin with red, blue, yellow, and green items. We used pom pom balls, colored popsicle sticks, and colored noodles. 

I was wondering if the fact that the objects were not the same would cause some confusion but I'm assuming since they are familiar with sorting they focused on colors and had no problems.

Guru moment: It may have been too easy, but sometimes these games that kids feel successful with can help reinforce concepts and build confidence. Many times I heard the girls say "this is a fun game!" :) 

Do you have any ideas on how I could have made this more challenging? I'd love to hear your ideas.



Arielle (Mommy):
Today we watched a music video clip from Sid the Science Kid about the sense of sight on youtube.  



To continue of study of sight and color I made a color matching game similar to Cynthia's but a bit more challenging for Lil as she is older.  Instead of completely different colors, I had Lil match colors that were different shades.

Ahead of time I went to Home Depot and collected some paint swatches, two of each one I selected.  Then I laminated the swatches, left one of each as is, and cut the other set up.  I hot glued the cut swatches to clothes pins.

We discussed how the colors were similar but the shades were different, some were lighter and some were darker.   We discussed how our sense if sight tells us what color things are.


No comments:

Post a Comment