Tuesday, September 10, 2013

Preschool on Wheels

Arielle (mommy):
Today I was talking to my friend (and MommyNannyGuru contributor) Liz and she mentioned making a mobile preschool because she had a new baby and no longer has enough rooms to have a dedicated learning space.  She had the brilliant idea of using an old laundry sorter!  Right away I knew I had to make my own preschool on wheels because I have a laundry sorter taking up space in my closet.

I started by taking the learning posters I had in my dining room and hooking them to the sorter.  



I looped rubber bands around the metal and then used binder clips through holes I had punched in the posters.  I could have skipped the rubber bands if I'd had larger binder clips.


Because I used binder clips I was able to put more than one poster on each side, and I can just flip to the poster I want.


After the sides were covered, I found two large plastic bins, filled one with math and science supplies and one with literacy materials.  Next I got two of the bars that came with the laundry sorter and put them on the middle bars.  I was able to rest the kids' lap desks on those, and on top of the lap desks I put a bin with some workbooks and the books we have made.  When the lap desks are being used, the green bin still fits nicely.




The kids can use the lap desks and if I need them to see the posters they are easily visible from their spots.


Thanks again Liz for this great idea!  We are excited to have our dining room walls back!

Guru moment:  Liz pointed out that her 1 1/2 year old likes to get take apart her calendar when they are not using it, so she rolls her cart into the office when they aren't using it.  This is an excellent benefit!  Rolling the cart back and forth is also a great cue to her little ones when school time starts and when it is over.


No comments:

Post a Comment