Monday, August 12, 2013

Math: Counting

Arielle (mommy): 
Counting and number identification are important math basics for preschoolers.  We count things around the house all the time.  During bedtime routine every night, Lil has me tickle her back as we count to 20.  

We count a lot throughout the day and also read many counting books.  (I am a book junkie, I sell books from two different companies because I love them so much.).   There is the video that goes along with a fun counting book we have called Driving My Tractor (which I brought from myself here).  Lil loves singing along with it and predicting the next number in the song.  Books and songs like this one are a great way to get kids interested in what they are about to learn. 

While Lil was napping, I downloaded the pictures to go along with the tractor song  (they were intended for making finger puppets), I colored them, cut them out, and prepared a graph.

When she woke up, we read the book, then we watched the sing-a-long.  As she watched and sang, Lil took note of how many of each animal she saw.  

After each animal was introduced, we paused the video so Lil could add foam square stickers to the graph.  Graphing was a concept my kindergrateners always struggled with when I was a teacher, so I know it's important to start practicing and having fun with graphs early on.


When she finished the graph I had Lil write the numbers on the dry erase easel.



When Cynthia shared her activity for today I was so excited to learn a new way of practicing numbers (and to find a use for the veggie trays taking up space in my cabinet).  It's times like these (and they are numerous) I am so thankful to be partnering with her on this blog!



Cynthia (nanny):
We've been practicing counting out loud for the past few months. By now the girls can independently count from 1-10. We started out counting going up and down stairs, singing songs and reading books about counting.

Today to work on basic number sense (numbers and their value), I pre made two sorting trays. I used a chip/veggie party tray and labeled them with numbers 1-6. I found this one at a dollar store. Then I placed a handful of counters in the middle of the tray(dip holder). 

I modeled how to say and touch the numbers while the girls echoed after me.  Next I modeled how to count out 1 counter and place it in the spot with the number 1. I asked them to do number two on their own. They were able to continue but got confused at number 4. 

Big sister was actually trying to count on after three instead of starting over at one. Little sister wanted to use all the counters in the middle so she began filling 4,5,&6 to capacity. 

The guru moments were adding up. ;) 



                                                      Guru Moment: 
During this activity I noticed the girls being overwhelmed and confused halfway through the game. We did it a second time but this time I did what I normally would have done with students in school. 

I gave them time to explore (play) with the counters before we even started working again. Letting kids play first to get all their curiosity out pays off so that they're not playing while you're trying to teach. A timer works wonders during this type of activity. 

Another thing I realized I needed to change was first only focus on 1-3 and only put exactly 6 counters in the middle. This time was much better. Also, with big sister wanting to naturally "count on", I thought this would be a great way to teach 1st graders or any student who is just learning or struggling with addition and subtraction. 




No comments:

Post a Comment