Thursday, August 29, 2013

Math: Patterns

Cynthia(Nanny):
 This week we began exploring patterns. We live in a world of patterns. You can find patterns in clothing, weather, pictures, everyday items, etc. 

Today we're using foam shapes to create and extend a pattern. I wasn't sure the twins were going to grasp this concept, but they surprised me! We started with three shapes laid out on the table and practiced touching and saying the shape names. (The more touching and moving items, the better children will learn.) At first I demonstrated how to make a pattern and then how to add on to it or extend it. When it was the girls' turn I laid out the first five shapes and had them tell me what came next and they did it! The practice before hand made them more comfortable with trying it on their own. 

For the independent work, I gave them a pre made strip of paper with shapes glued on. Their job was to find the next shape. Great job girls! :)


Arielle (mommy):
Our sorting activity was very simple.  We have some pompoms I hot glued magnets to, Lil used them on a small magnetic dry erase board to make patterns.  She made the patterns and then she decided to underline each pompom with a dry erase marker, which was a good idea since it's great for practicing one to one correspondence.



No comments:

Post a Comment