Friday, August 23, 2013

Letter G

Arielle (mommy):
Introduction:  I introduced Lil to the letter G by reading my G book to her, we identified all of the G words in the book, and practiced saying the sound.

Writing practice:  I filled a ziplock bag with hair gel, wrote G and g on a peice of paper to put under it, and had Lil trace the letters through the gel.  She really enjoyed the sensory aspect of it.


Craft:  For our letter G animal I really struggled because I didn't like the goat or gorilla I found online and the giraffe was no good because it is the wrong sound.  I decided I wanted Lil to make a Goldfish so I looked online for a G shaped goldfish and I didn't find anything good.  I had to make up my own but it was easy because I just had to disguise the letter as a goldfish.  I cut out all the pieces and gave them to Lil to glue.  I have really been working with her on lifting paper and gluing things under so it looks better.  She really seems to be catching on.


Cynthia (Nanny): 
For our letter G practice we talked about the g sound and glued pictures onto the next page of our ABC book.

Then, in an effort to make up some lost time, I combined math and science together with phonics. We talked about gardens and how some have flowers that you can smell. After our talk and smelling a flower in a plant, we created an AB pattern. This time I wanted them to start it off. It was interesting to see them pick different pictures to start with. They did an amazing job starting off the pattern. Towards the end, little sister wanted to end with two yellows because she said "I like yellow." It was a great time to review patterns and what needed to be in between the two. She did well and was able to put the rose in the correct spot. Big sister needed help towards the end also but I think at that point it could have been a little too overwhelming.



Guru moment: Next time I won't have as many pictures for them to work with. Having extras may have confused them.

No comments:

Post a Comment