Thursday, August 22, 2013

Science: Sense of Smell

Arielle (mommy):
To open our discussion of the five senses, we read the book My Five Senses by Alikai.  I decided we would smell different foods and make a book about the foods we smelled and whether or not we liked the smell.  

To prepare for this activity I did a google search for clip art of the foods I knew we'd be smelling:  lemon, chocolate, coffee, bananas, cheese, and milk.   Them I printed the pictures, cut them out, and folded some paper for our book. 



After we smelled a food (or drink) we made a page in our book ("I can smell bananas.  I like the smell." Or "I can smell milk.  I do not like the smell.")



We will add this book to our collection of pattern books that we made together.  I put all of these books in a box for Lil to read on her own (in kinder we called them browsing boxes).  

Browsing boxes include books that are just at the child's reading level.  For pre readers like Lil that includes books with a predictable pattern that she's familiar with, books with no words, books with just a few words, and books she has memorized.

No comments:

Post a Comment