Tuesday, August 20, 2013

Math: Food patterns

Cynthia(Nanny): 
To integrate our five senses unit into math, we used pictures of fruit to create and extend a pattern (AB pattern). 

Patterns will be a concept we will review daily as they are a fundamental math concept all children need to master. 

I started out reviewing the shape pattern we made previously. Then I modeled where to glue on the first picture of the grapes. I glued on the strawberry and had the girls follow. 

I reviewed what we had so far and explained that I needed to glue the grapes picture next. After that, I let them glue the rest of the of the pictures by themselves. 

The only redirecting they needed was to make sure the pictures were right side up. 

To review we said the picture names together then I let them try by themselves. 



Guru moment: Next time I want to only do the first two pictures and see if they can create the pattern. Eventually we will lead into 3 picture patterns as well as AAB, AABB, etc. 

Arielle (mommy):  For our food patterns I bought some stickers from Targer.  We sorted them into divided plates.  I wrote lines on the paper and told Lil to create any pattern she wanted using all the stickers.  I helped a bit at first and then she took off.  

When she finished I talked to her about the different names we give patterns.  I told her that since her pattern had three parts it was an ABC pattern, I wrote ABC on her paper for her to copy.


After she was all done, she grabbed a slip of paper, drew her own lines, and created another pattern with the stickers.  This gave me the idea of learning trays! Much like the learning tubs filled wil manipulatives for independent play, learning trays will have consumable materials used for practice of a previously learned concept.

  


No comments:

Post a Comment