Thursday, August 29, 2013

Fitness with Little Ones

Arielle (mommy):  I had not intended to do a post about finding time to exercise as a mom but it is something I struggle to fit into my schedule and I know it is even more difficult for working moms.

Yesterday my friend/ health and fitness "guru" Veronica came over (during naptime) to try out some of her new Pound routines with me.  Pound is a high energy workout that combines cardio interval training and drumming.  Though Pound is a worldwide sensation, Veronica (of VBanks) is the only "Pound Pro" here is San Antonio.


(Photo from http://www.poundfit.com/)


As Veronica and I were working out, O woke up (of course) walked in, stared at us for about 10 minutes, then when we got on the floor to work on abs, O took it as the perfect opportunity to join me.  After Lil got up (I'm not even sure she napped) she also joined in as she copied our moves.  

Naptime doesnt always pan out the way I hope.  This gave me the idea to post some tips on how to find time for fitness as a mom who doesn't have a lot of free time.

(If you are in the San Antonio area and are interested in Pound you can contact VBanks at 210-445-2929.)



My top 10 mom fitness tips:

1. Wake up before the kids and do a quick workout.  (I usually fail at this one)

2. Do short bursts of activity when you can (maybe 10 minutes in the morning, 10 minutes during nap time, and another 10 minutes after the kids go to bed.)

3. Play outside with your kids and run around with them, chase them, kick balls, etc (this also has the added bonus of tiring THEM out.)

4.  Have dance parties throughout the day.  (Turn up the music and dance with the kids for a few songs, getting your cardio in and again getting some of the kids' energy out too.)

5.  Work out with the kids.  This is great gross motor fun, helps build locomotor skills, and practice with crossing the midline (You can do stretches, jumping jacks, lunges, squats, and other calisthenics.  My husband does push-ups and Lil loves to do them along with him.)

6.  Use the kids as resistance (lift them, play airplane, let them sit on you to make your workout more challenging.). This is great fun for little ones.

7.  If you have a baby or toddler who likes to be carried in a baby carrier, you can wear them to do Yoga or other low impact workouts.  (Baby may even fall asleep)

8. Load up the stroller and go for a walk or run.

9.  Get a child's bike seat or trailer for your bike and take the kids for a ride.

10.  Do things like squats and calf raises when you are cooking, watching tv, or brushing your teeth (moms are excellent mulitaskers.)


One of the best things about incorporating kids into your exercise routine is that it teaches them that working out is fun and just a part of daily life.  This will help them stay active throughout their lives as well.

Now I just need to take my own advice. :)

2 comments: