Friday, August 9, 2013

Math: Shapes

Cynthia (nanny) Shape review/Independent practice: The girls are able to name and identify triangles, squares, and circles so I wanted to see if they would be able to sort a pile of shapes.

I created a simple trifold sorting mat on a sheet of construction paper. Then,  I reviewed the shape names as the girls repeated after me. Next, I modeled how I would identify the square, pick a square from the pile, and glue it down in the correct column. After that I let them work on their own as I tidied up our workspace. 

As I saw them start to get up, I went back to ask questions and redirected them to continue working. With minimal assistance they were able to complete the sorting activity. 

At the end, hearing shouts of "I did it!" was very rewarding! Make sure to celebrate all your child's successes no matter how big or small!



Arielle (mommy):  Lil is very familiar with shapes so I gave her magazines and had her do a shape hunt.  

I had her cut out the real life shapes and then glue them next to the paper shapes.  We noted things like how many sides and points each shape has.


Guru moment:  Having kids use "drippy glue" instead of glue sticks can be scary, but the saying in kindergarten was always "dot dot not a lot!"

2 comments:

  1. Also, you can get a sponge with glue on it in a small container. You have them dab the sponge and you have less mess.

    ReplyDelete