Thursday, August 22, 2013

Math: Ten Apples Up On Top

Arielle (mommy): 
Since food is the theme this week I couldn't resist reading the kids Ten Apples Up On Top.  

As usual I thought it was the perfect opportunity to make a book.  I took pictures of the kids, inserted them into a word document, wrote the text, and printed it (on resume paper which was the only paper I could find).  I found some clip art apples and printed lots of tiny apples.  I cut everything out beforehand. 

After reading the story, I had Lil count out the apples and glue the correct number on each page.  

The pages read: "One apple up on top", so then Lil glued one apple on the picture of O's head, then "Two apples up on top", then she glued two apples on her head, etc.

She got the actual book and used it for "help."  We did numbers one-five one day and six-ten the next. When she was done glueing the apples, I laminated the pages and used book rings to hold it together.  Owen really enjoyed looking at the book too.

 
Guru moment:  If you don't won't to go to all the trouble of printing a book, just have the kids draw themselves and use red dot painters as apples.  This is how we used to do this activity when I taught Kindergarten.  

No comments:

Post a Comment